Embracing Surprise, Welcoming Change
Do you feel as if your life is following a predictable pattern, that you are in a rut of your own design? Does it seem that you are living on autopilot, not really noticing what is happening around you or even that there is a world beyond your usual routine? Sometimes we get so caught up in what we think we know to be true and what we assume is necessary or valuable that we become blind to unexpected gifts and opportunities.
We can end up feeling tired and disconnected, not realizing that we have the capacity to renew our connections to the greater world – the world outside of our habitual beliefs and responses – and embrace the mystery that surrounds us.
What can we do to begin reorient our senses to the myriad of possibilities available? Give these simple suggestions a try.
- Talk to someone whom you’ve never taken the time to get to know, strike up a conversation with a stranger, or approach someone who seems different from you
- Ask your loved ones for their opinions on topics you’ve never examined before together
- Eat something, wear something, or do something that is out of character for you just to see how it feels
- Let others decide on a plan: take a back seat for a change, go along for the ride, see what unfolds
- Challenge yourself to reflect and consider how you might do things differently the next time you face a recurring situation or task
- Make a conscious effort to pay attention to what is happening around you and within you – what do you see and how are you feeling about it?
Self-Discovery Tool 3/43
Cultivate the attitude of wonder – be ready to be surprised. Take notice of your environment, both internally and externally. See how it shifts and changes and be willing to act accordingly instead of relying on your usual assumptions about how things should go or should be. Be open to change – try something small to connect to the many possibilities that could exist if they were only allowed entrance into your life!